I love to make frittatas – they are so simple and it’s also a great way to see to vegetables that need using up. This one is loaded with tomatoes, peas, spinach, peppers and leeks although the veg is pretty interchangeable so you can get creative with what you have. It’s delicious when eaten warm or cold, it keeps well in the fridge and also makes a wonderful picnic option.
prep time: 10 minutes cooking time: 20 minutes serves: 4-6
- 8 organic, free range eggs
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 Romano red pepper, sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced into thirds
- 100g spinach
- 120g frozen peas, thawed
- small bunch of fresh dill, chopped
- ½ red chilli, finely sliced
- salt & pepper to season
- olive oil
- note: select an oven-safe pan to cook the frittata in.
- In a large pan over medium heat, warm a small amount of olive oil or butter, add the leeks and cook for a few minutes until they start to soften. Add the chili, red pepper and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- To the same pan, add the chopped dill (save some for the garnish), spinach and the peas – stir through until the spinach starts to wilt slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, crack all 8 eggs and whisk together. Add a teaspoon of salt and some black pepper and combine. Pour the egg mix into the pan with the vegetables and fold it through, lifting from the bottom of the pan and from the edges. Allow it to partially set and then arrange the tomato slices on top of the frittata along with a little scattering of chopped dill. Place into the oven for around 10-15 minutes until completely set and cooked through.
- Serve the frittata straight from the oven with a side salad or allow to cool, pop in the fridge and enjoy eating it cold. Either way – it tastes great!